WARNING: Major spoilers ahead. If you haven't watched the Gilmore Girls Revival then stop reading and step away!
From the minute the Gilmore Girls Revival was announced, I couldn't contain my excitement. Seriously, it was marked on my calendar and my day was cleared. The anticipation was killing me. I loved watching the trailer and trying to figure out what journey Amy and Daniel would send my beloved characters on. I analyzed every second of that trailer, every Instagram picture that was posted, every Facebook post, and every interview. I was more excited for this revival than Thanksgiving, my second favorite holiday, and Black Friday.
The morning came and I plopped down in front of my laptop with my big cup of coffee, of course, and began the journey. I cried far more than I expected and went through an entire roll of toilet paper as the tears wouldn't stop rolling down my cheeks. I had to pause and step away several times because it was making me very emotional. Every time Richard was brought up I bawled. Not just for what the characters were going through or for the loss of a beloved character, but because it hit so close to home. My grandfather passed away in 2008 and those emotions are still raw. I watched my grandmother go through exactly what Emily is going through and it ripped me apart. She still sleeps with a picture of him and you can still see the pain she harbors with his loss. It was hard to go through that again.
Another thing that hit close to home for me was Rory herself. I will be 32 just like Rory in a week and there are days when I have no idea what I'm doing with my life. Days where I feel like I'm floating by and hoping something will happen that will steer me in a direction. Some moment that will let me know I'm on the right path for my career and things will work out. I'm surrounded by friends who have kids and are successful yet I feel like I'll never get there. I'll always be that girl who can't find her underwear.
At least I'm not someone's side piece though. I found my soulmate and that makes the rest easier to bear. I wanted that for Rory in this four part series. I wanted her to find her soulmate. Team Logan, Jess and Dean have been rooting for their pick for so long and we were all let down. I was Team Logan from the day he appeared on the show, but now I'm not so sure... But it makes me wonder. Maybe Rory already has her soulmate and it's not a guy. Maybe her soulmate is and always will be Lorelei.
I was hoping the revival would help bring things to a close that I felt were missing from the original series finale, but unfortunately I'm just left with a million more questions. At least in the original I had a sense of closure. A sense of where everybody was headed. Now, I'm not so sure.
So here is a list of questions that ran through my head during the revival:
- Why don't we get to meet Michele's husband?
- Does Michel leave? Did Lorelei offer him more? What is the Dragonfly Inn without Michel?
- Who left that letter for Emily and what did it say? Why did they leave this letter?
- How did Petals wind up at Lorelei's and Luke's at the end when Kirk points out earlier she's not there?
- If Rory is jobless and broke, how can she afford to fly back and forth to London?
- How is Rory broke? Didn't she have a trust fund? Wouldn't Richard have left her even more after his passing? I mean he left money to Luke for crying out loud.
- How can Jess just sit there and read while Kirk is having a meltdown?
- Why was the town musical scene so long? I love Sutton Foster but my god...
- Why wasn't Miss Patty involved in the town musical? She's their resident expert on performances.
- Why does Lane still look like she's a teenager? Seriously, I hate her!
- What happens to Paris and Doyle? Do they go through with the divorce? Say it ain't so! They're the perfect couple. I wanted to see an explosive reunion maybe even with the help of Rory like in the college years.
- What was Lorelei talking about in therapy when she continued to go?
- Is her therapist the one who made her want to pull a Wild?
- How in four episodes did you manage to make me rethink my stance on team Logan when I have been team Logan from the beginning????? HOW???? WHY!?!?!?!
- Why would Rory agree to a no strings attached relationship with Logan when she's not that girl?
- Why didn't Jess and Rory hug when he stops by to see her at the Gazette? They state they haven't seen each other in four years. FOUR! I think that deserves a hug, don't you?
- Was Luke's hair real or fake?
- Why do we never get to see Odette?
- Rory is obviously still in love with Logan, and by the way he looks at her, he's clearly still in love with her, so it begs the question, why wasn't there ever a conversation? A moment where feelings were put out there? The conversation they do have is a bit half-assed and it felt like there were so many things left unsaid. Why not say them? If it was goodbye what did either have to lose?
- Was Lorelei always so selfish? I never noticed as much as I did in these four episodes. I started to get annoyed with her.
- What was Lorelei's reaction to Rory's confession? I imagine she gets very upset and makes it about herself...
- Why the hell did Rory choose Lorelei's big day to tell her? Lorelei has been waiting for this moment for nine years and you just dropped a bombshell. You couldn't give her the day?
- Why didn't we get to see the wedding with all of their friends? The final episode of the series all the cast members were there to see Rory off and that's what I expected again. A celebration of these people and the town. Of all the things we love so much about Stars Hollow. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled they're finally married and the way they did it is more Luke and Lorelei, but I wanted to see the party.
- Who runs the secret bar?
- How did the old editor deliver all the papers?
- If Rory is working at the Gazette for free where is she getting money from?
- Writing a book doesn't guarantee a paycheck and even if it does, it is months if not years before you see any money. How is she going to survive in the meantime?
- What language is Berta actually speaking?
- Why was Emily letting that creepy guy come around?
- Did the Lorelei and Sookie reunion fall flat for you? I wanted more excitement from Sookie. I wanted the bubbly over the top Sookie who was excited about everything. I felt like the Sookie I got is the Melissa McCarthy character she seems to play in every movie lately.
- Is it me, or is Rory and all of her friends turning into their parents? Paris, Lane, Logan and Rory are all reminiscent of what we know about their parents.
- When did Milo V get so hot?
- Why make Sutton Foster's character a smoker if she didn't inhale once and it just looked so awkward and unnatural?
- Rory joined the DAR so wouldn't the women gathered at Emily's know her? Why didn't a single one say hi?
Hit me with it. Thoughts, feelings, tell me everything!